Wednesday, August 23, 2017

[Discussion] Portrayal of Artificial Intelligence in Media

Media sensationalizing stories is hardly news, but I wanted to see what all you guys' opinion on how a lot of media presents a distorted image on the current state of artificial intelligence and what effects that would have on society and their perception of the field.

From what I've seen of articles talking about artificial intelligence, many paint the image that every major tech company has a skynet within their system that is a living being on the verge of self awareness and will take over the world. They address AI programs as living beings with thoughts. And even the companies that are AI developers seem to advertise it as such. One major example being the ads for IBM Watson.

One particular example that I find is the epitome of this kind of journalism is this article: http://ift.tt/2vbXBKk

My biggest problem with this article specifically is that the AI's "new language" is most likely a mistake. What is probably happening is the AI is finding patterns in the English language that just aren't the standard rules for English grammar. Yet the media repackages it as a creepy development that means robots will kill us all.

In my experience with AI, we are nowhere near the singularity and are, in fact, pretty idiotic. They have trouble performing tasks that are much simpler than self awareness. However, my knowledge of AI is restricted to a bunch of novelty projects I've seen around the internet and my personal experience using neural networks for projects. I'd like to see what all of your opinions might be.



Submitted August 24, 2017 at 08:07AM by BlockHead0810 http://ift.tt/2wA4QNk via TikTokTikk

No comments:

Post a Comment