Thursday, May 12, 2016

I built a custom DDNS system :D

My ISP is VirginMedia UK, and their router firmware is awful.

They do not have any settings for DDNS, and will not give me a static IP on a home package - so I got creative.

As I'm a geek, and have a few dedi servers floating about, I knocked up a simple system.

Cron runs every minute on a machine on your local network, and sends your unique user token via a HTTP header to a URL.

The webserver picks up the user token and compares your stored IP to the IP that is now accessing the page - if it has changed, it is updated in the database,

Then, on the webserver, a cron runs every minute to pick up changes in IP addresses - and then uses my domain providers API to update the hostnames assigned to the user token.

Anybody want to be a testing monkey for me? Send donations via paypal to... ;)



Submitted May 12, 2016 at 05:18PM by Teh_Nameless_One http://ift.tt/2202Gwc via TikTokTikk

No comments:

Post a Comment