Sunday, June 18, 2017

USB 3.1 Gen 2 - UGH!

This is probably more of a vent post than a request for help although i'm not sure where I'm going with this yet.

I decided to reconfigure what I call my office which is really just a tech cave in my house. As I haven't found a replacement desk I like yet I'm stuck with the furniture setup I currently have. As everything is slowly migrating to USB 3.1 standards and god willing type-c connectors across the board I'm eargly looking forward to burning my drawer filled with Type a, b male/male female/male etc cables I've been hoarding for years because there is always that friend that needs help or can't find the cable for something.

Anyway - I'm looking to swap my pc rig from one side of the room to the other and tv/video games etc to the other side of the room but leave 3 printers, a video setup and an android dev setup where they are. This creates an issue in part because of the distance of the equipment to the rig. Currently I have a few very long USB 2.0 male/female extension cables that have worked fine in various uses but I was looking forward to replacing them with a USB 3.1 Gen 2 hub at some point so there is only 1 cable run across the room with much shorter cables looping from the hub to the equipment which is all pretty centralized.

When I setup my current rig a little over a year ago I purposely made sure it was loaded with 3.0, 3.1 and a type - c port for optimistic future compatibility.

As I read though various reviews and articles I'm left feeling completely devoid of any good options for 3.1. Most of the "gen 2"s either seem to be BS or are made by some company I've never heard of and don't trust running current through.

Yeah... that's is all.

Happy Father's Day :)



Submitted June 18, 2017 at 10:20PM by Uleepera http://ift.tt/2rF2Zor via TikTokTikk

No comments:

Post a Comment