Thursday, December 1, 2016

Information Technology Student Looking for More Ways to be Employable

To start with I'm prefacing with three statements:

Apologies if this isn't the right place. I live in a small community in New Zealand. Absolutely not interested in programming.

Hello people of r/tech!!

I am currently working towards eventually getting a degree in Computer Science. My grades are pretty okay, would guess at a C+/B- average (maybe even C average if I change places and cross credit the papers I did last year). I plan on majoring in networking and security when the time comes to choose.

Employability is pretty bleak for graduates who don't have the luxury of having referencable IT experience. I'm included in that bubble.

Right now I am planning to start a website that hosts everything that I have done and will do in personal time and in education. It's not a generic Square Space drag-and-drop website but one I want to do myself: thinking of a base portfolio with an attached forum where I make "blog posts" of things I've gone and done. I also do the odd video for a YouTube network.

The domain I want is available (in both .com and the more expensive .co.nz flavour) and I have the gear to do it with: An HP DL380 G5 server that needs a good ol' password reset, need blank CDs where I only have blank DVDs. A Cisco router to "practice" on. And a Dell switch for the same purpose.

To the point: what else can I do to better improve the chances of making it to an interview once I eventually graduate?

Thanks and apologies again if this isn't the right place.



Submitted December 01, 2016 at 04:20PM by king_john651 http://ift.tt/2gaQfMw via TikTokTikk

No comments:

Post a Comment