Sunday, April 16, 2017

Free Degree of Computer Science using MIT OpenCourseware

I want to create a study team to do the MIT Challenge. I created a curriculum of 180 credits and I'm thinking in achieve it in 1 year and somethink like two months. I can help you in all you need related to this, the schedule, books, etc. There's a slack team where we all share. (THIS IS JUST FOR KNOWLEDGE, MIT IS NOT GOING TO GIVE YOU A REAL DEGREE)

EDIT 15/04/2017 Link to the curriculum that I made: MIT CHALLENGE CURRICULUM

What I did before starting and some tips: 1) I planned it for a month due to several things. I'm from Venezuela and I have my own company. I live of the money that I make. So I bringed a friend to my company and make him a business partner with the condition that he has to do all the work. This was perfect since I'm doing 8 hours per day of study. 2) Another thing that is important and people forget it; a good CHAIR. If you're going to spend 8 hours every day, 4 hours on weekend, a good chair is an important thing and not just a furniture. 3) I made a lot of noise of what I was about to do with my friends and family in order to make this challenge a real thing and keep a little of pressure on me. 4) Economic situation here in my country is ugly, so it's not common to have your own house, even if you have money. So I live with my family and they make a lot of noise, luckily for me, my house is not small and I fixed a room-garage just for studying and work. 5) I study an intensive week of pre-calculus before starting just to remember some math that I forgot

Are you suited for this? *People who is interested in Computer Science *People with time to learn Computer Science, this may not be a formal degree but you should take it like one *People with discipline *People friendly and willing to collaborate *People wanting to be tech-entrepeneurs

What do you need? *A computer, basically any computer will work. *Time for spend 6-9 hours a day depending on your effort *A good chair to spend those hours *Will!

A little thing about me: I studied Philosophy first and then Economics in college, I never finished none of them. I started my own company and that was my life three years until now. I always hated school and college, but I never hated to learn. So I started to see that I didn't need the traditional educational system to learn. That's when I heard about the MIT CHALLENGE done by Scott H Young. Inspired by him, I made my own curriculum and my own structure on how to accomplish this, I'm going to write later some rules that I made for this.

The rules that I made to give some structure (Test mode):

1)12 hours/credit on every subject, MIT recommend 14 hours/credit. Scott H. Young did 6 hours/credit

2) If you don't understand something you may go to a prior subject in order to understand the premise.

3) It is supposed that a subject with 12 credits (like most of them) should be done in 3 weeks, working on them 8 hours monday to friday and 4 hours each day of the weeknd, to a weekly total of 48 hours and a 3 weeks total of 144 hours. If something unexpected happens you can rearrange your time to compensate this in other days, but the total hours should be done in 3 weeks with just a few extraordinary exceptions. It is to be seen if this methodology will work.

4)If Rule #3 is broked, you will have 5 days more to finish the total hours, but with a new total of 14 hours per credit to a total of 168 hours in a 12 credit subject

5) You should have at least 180 credits when you're done (This is what MIT consider a Major). This could be consider that the Major is complete (If there's no a thesis or final project)

6) (It is to be seen if it is possible to have a few days free between the subjects)

7) The general way to test your knowledge will be through the final exam if this is possible. If you fail in this test you will have two days to study for a similar test gain, and this way so on if the resources allowed it. It is to be seen what would happen if the resources are not available.

Two days ago I started with my first subject, Introduction To Computer Science and Programming in Python. I'm going to test if it's possible to finish this first subject within the time that should be done and if I can keep with the hours per day. I'm starting to see that the feedback when you're doing programming problems would be nice with another students. Note: I want to add that my native language is NOT english, so there are things that are a little harder for me to understand while studying than to a native english speaker.

Note 2: I want to clarify that many of the subjects are electives that you can choose.



Submitted April 16, 2017 at 11:29AM by DerSteppenWulf http://ift.tt/2pl29Lm via TikTokTikk

No comments:

Post a Comment