Monday, May 15, 2017

[Question/Discussion] Why can't you chose your Smartphone's OS?

Hey, reddit. There's been a question on my mind for a very long time. On PC, nearly every OS (well, except OSX) magically seems to work with every Hardware. I've had Windows XP, 7 and now Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 on one (very old) Notebook, and there doesn't seem to be an issue with it. Why is it that you don't get the same freedom with your smartphone? I know that you can install Ubuntu Mobile (yeah, that was a thing) on third party devices, but only select ones, but aside I've never seen anyone giving away/selling licences for Android or Windows10M. Basically your smartphone seems to be locked to the OS you buy it with.

Microsoft recently dropped support for a bunch of windows phones, and I've already mentioned Ubuntu only being supported by a handful of devices. Is it a hardware issue? Is there simply no money in the market? What does everybody think (or know) about this?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really curious about this.



Submitted May 15, 2017 at 09:20PM by NoLongerHasAName http://ift.tt/2qJpKq7 via TikTokTikk

No comments:

Post a Comment